Sunday, January 20, 2008

Race 08-05 DSE Sawyer Camp 10k

January 20, 2008
10k - 6th/118 - 36:29
Complete Results here

Since I raced long yesterday I didn't have high expectations for today's race, the DSE Sawyer Camp 10k. I was hoping to be around 38 minutes. Once again there was a good group of fast guys at the start and I hung on to them for a while. It spread out after a mile and I ended up right in back of the guy in 5th. The first woman, Maria (who I had never seen before) stayed right on my shoulder. I went back and forth with the guy in 5th but found it very difficult after a while because every time there was a curve (of which there are a lot) he would go off the paved road and cut the corners. Maria told me after she was pacing off of me, but toward the last couple miles it appeared that she dropped off a little.

I was happy with my splits - 5:43, 11:33, 17:32, and 18:13 at the half. I didn't get mile splits on the way back because the signs on the road count the miles down and don't account for the extra .1 we run at the turnaround. It turned out that I ran the second half in 18:16 which is as consistent as I've been in a while. On the way back I knew I would be close to a PR but I missed it by 7 seconds. I was very happy with that considering what I ran yesterday. This concluded a 52+ mile week which is my highest weekly mileage total since 2002!

No comments: