Friday, January 18, 2008

Race 08-03 DSE Fort Point 12k

January 13, 2008
12 kilometers - 6th/92 - 45:36
Complete Results here

The weather was a perfect sunny and 60 or so degrees. I left home later than I wanted (as usual) and when I saw a gathering of people at the east end of the Marina green I drove over there. It turned out to be the wrong place but fortunately Phyllis was there to direct me to the proper place. As I was going back to my car I ran into Chikara who also was mistaken about the starting place. I gave him a ride and we both registered as the pre-race instructions were given out.

We nearly had some confusion a quarter mile in as Ky, who was leading the pack could not decide which direction to circle at the end of the Yacht Harbor parking lot. He finally decided to go clockwise and we all followed. At the mile mark we had the largest pack I can remember at a DSE race. Nathan, Grant, Chikara and I were chatting it up. Oliver and a couple others hung in with us too. During the second mile it got more spread out. Oliver passed me going up the hill to Fort Mason and I passed him going back down the other side. I stayed in the same place the rest of the way.

We turned around at Aquatic Park and as Eduardo and I went by end other he commented on the strong field that showed up. It appeared Eduardo was on another training run. We ran back over the Fort Mason hill all the way to the building under the Golden Gate Bridge. At that turnaround I noticed Oliver in a dual with the lead woman which indicated a strong women's field as well. I finished strong but uneventfully as I was almost a minute in back of Chikara and almost a minute in front of Oliver. About half way through the race I decided 45:00 would be a good time but I must have slowed down because I ended up with a 45:36. My splits were 5:50, 11:48, 18:12, 24:13, 30:31, 36:46, and 42:54.

I had as much of an enjoyable time at this race than I have at any DSE race so far. This was largely due to the (relatively) competitive field, the weather, and the course.

No comments: