Sunday, February 20, 2011

Race 11-17 Hamilton YMCA TCRS 4.36mi.

February 20th, 2011
4.36mi. - 27:15 - 5th/113

Since the beginning of 2010 I’ve been making the effort to race in more of the monthly TCRS races which are put on by Tamalpa Runners in Marin. The cost is $3 for members and $5 for non-members and what you get is a 5k-12k course over varied terrain, usually it’s a cross country type course with at least one decent size hill in the middle. This month’s TCRS was no different. The course is a 4-ish mile loop that starts on the levee behind the Novato YMCA, runs on some dirt trails and through a neighborhood going up 2 short but steep hills before returning to the finish. I had never run this course before.

The weather today was mild and sunny and I arrived at the race quite early. I was a little sore from yesterday’s 50k but not too fatigued. I thought having done yesterday’s race might cost me a handful of places. The TCRS series has some competitive runners – I’ve never been within striking distance of the leader after the halfway mark. No one knew exactly how long the course was but for some reason we had to start a quarter mile down the levee and run toward the parking lot to make the course long enough.

I started out in about 9th place but 1st wasn’t too far ahead. Everyone was more or less running in back of the person in front of him (mostly hims with the exception of Valerie Young who was a couple places in front of me). As we got to the first hill I started picking off runners until I got to (I think) 2nd, maybe 3rd? As we crested that hill I lost a couple places but I kept running strong. Also, first place had pulled away from the pack.

We descended down into a neighborhood and ran toward a second hill. I passed 2 guys going up that hill and at least one passed me back as we were at the top. When we started the descent I was in 5th with first place being out of reach but the next 3 guys were all close. I thought I might be able to make up ground going downhill but no dice – it wasn’t happening. I ran as hard as I could to avoid getting caught by the guy in 6th and managed to hold him off. I had saved a little in the tank for the last 100 meters in case he caught me, which I used but didn’t have to.

After the race a bunch of us went to Peet’s down the road. I should be at or near the top of the TCRS standings having placed fairly well in both of the events so far this year, but I expect to miss the next one due to it being the same weekend as the National Snowshoe Championship in Wisconsin.

No comments: